What if we train them and they leave? What if we don’t train them and they stay?
Don’t be reluctant to invest in employee training, as processing technologies evolve, a lack of training will leave your operation lagging behind your competitors. In this edition of the Service Advisor we will be exploring the top five reasons you should invest in employee training.
It is Tough to Find Good Employees
In today’s labor market it is very difficult to find people that are willing to work in a food processing plant, especially seasonally. Training your existing employees can really boost worker retention, employee morale and your plant’s efficiency.
Five reasons to invest in training:
1. It’s expensive to lose employees
According to a recent study by the Center for American Progress, replacing an employee that earns between $30,000 and $50,000 annually can cost up to 20% of their wages. When you combine that figure with the indirect costs incurred from the lost knowledge that occurs when they leave, the time spent finding a replacement and the time new hires need to become fully proficient, your company is losing a hefty sum.
2. Trained employees are more efficient
They know what you expect of them, which activities to complete in the course of their shift and how to do them most effectively.
3. Trained employees have higher production standards
Trained employees produce consistently higher quality products and less rework and/or waste, which can have a significant impact on your bottom line.
4. Trained employees will retain and grow your customer base
In food processing this is a hidden factor, but very much worth taking into account when weighing the benefits of investing in employee training.
As stated in #3, trained employees produce higher quality products. Consumers prefer higher quality products and share their opinions with others. Changes in consumer spending due to an increase in product quality and reliability may not be immediately apparent but, it can greatly affect your revenue next year or subsequent years down the road.
5. Training doesn’t have to be expensive
Online training reduces costs, is flexible to meet your needs, is standardized and increases productivity immediately.
Explore Our Training Options
Key Technology’s PROliance Service team offers online and instructor-led training for our equipment, HACCP, occupational safety and health, and Human Resources compliance. These comprehensive courses provide you with options that fit your schedule and budget.
- Quickly train new employees on critical competencies
- Train in a shorter amount of time – less than 20 minutes per module
- Flexible – take only the modules needed
- Self-paced interactive modules
- Training tailored to employee position (operator, maintenance, etc.)
- Certify or re-certify employees on essential Key Technology equipment
- Prove compliance with industry regulations and company policies
Browse our course catalog and contact us today to schedule your training!